Sunday, November 22, 2009

1. technolgy; strengths and weaknesses

I may rate rather competent on my personal use of technology, but in the classroom I am poor at best. First, after taking the Technology Applications Inventory I found that for the most part my foundation knowledge is strong but with one very obvious gap and that is in copyright law. My knowledge of this area is extremely limited at best and if I plan to pursue the use of technology in the classroom, which is my goal, then I will need to better this area quickly. Other areas which I lack quality knowledge falls under using technology to solve problems. I have had classes in which I used, manipulated and created information using spreadsheets and Microsoft Access database and I did very well. However, when it comes to programs like these, if I do not do it over and over again it is as if I did not learn it in the first place and why I simply make tables and if I must calculate some data I must find our Excel guru and ask him how it is done. I have yet to have a need to use a database, or I am just not trying hard enough because, like spreadsheets, I remember very, very little about how to use them. Beyond these things, I don’t publish.
Taking the SETDA was rather disheartening. I knew I was not doing a good job of incorporating technology into the lessons on a regular basis, but it really brought to light that I rarely ever do it period. It is an area that I know I think about and want to get better but need guidance and collaboration which I do not get at my campus. I also realized that, as good as our school is doing in setting the infrastructure to use technology; the leadership does not set any expectations that I am aware of, nor is there any recognition for those who are using it beyond research and electronic poster board.

No comments:

Post a Comment